Monday, May 18, 2009

A Simple Plan

I missed the second day of watching so I am not caught up in the events, but these were my thoughts from the first day.

1.) Fox and Chickens: fox diligently and menacingly watched over the chickens and finally attacked. This is definitely added into the movie to foreshadow the upcoming actions of greedy men feeding on the weak to collect the millions, especially Hank.

2.) "New" Year: you would usually connect a new year to a fresh start with new resolutions to do better the following year. In the movie, it is used to indicate a new path but not necessarily the correct one.

3.) Color "white": usually identified with purity and innocence, yet there is nothing innocent about committing murder to protect a huge bundle of cash from becoming public news. It is also ironic that in a town so peaceful and covered in white (snow, house, sky, church, trees) such an event can be occurring.

4.) Black bird: always watching. "Black" the color of death, a foreshadow for what is to come.

5.) Strong effects of greed on people: clearly visible among Jacob and Lou, and Hank and his wife. Ironically, both Hank and his wife were the first to declare it unruly to take the money but both become obsessed in the greed more than the other two men. This change in character is visible from the terror and shock on the dying farmer's face.

A few details to ponder over...

2 comments:

  1. Aha. I see that you analyzed the fox/hens in the same way that I did today in class. Had I read this post earlier, I would have given you credit. Why didn't you weigh in during the discussion. Everyone else seemed content to allow the men to be the hens. You saw that they were the fox.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah, at the moment I was just analyzing everyone's answer's to myself that I was lost in my own thoughts. Happens.

    Although, I thought the other arguments were defensible as well, such as the men as the puppets of the greater being (universe) that controls our lives and preys on the weak. It seems that both are represented at some points throughout the film, but I believe the director most likely included it with the same view that you had interpreted in class.

    ReplyDelete